Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sky Tutorial continued


Finished Tree and Sky
Here is the final tree from yesterday. I colored the trunk with E33 and E29. I also threw in hints of B45 to gray it down. I also dabbed in a few spots of R22 into the leaves just for variety. You can't see it because it is subtle, but it is there.

I think I like how it came out. Now let's adapt this to another image that I will spend more time on. Remember, things far away or things in shadow are less vibrant, and tend to be cooler/bluer. If you want to learn more about this concept, take one of our Intermediate Certification classes, or register for an online class through Creative Ladder (there may a few hiccups with the launch so be patient!). By the way, if you like little hints like this, you really should also pick up a copy of the Copic Coloring Guide, Level 4: Fine Details
More Complex Tree/Sky
Let's look at another, more complex tree, with the sky colored in a similar way as yesterday. This time, both the tree and the sky are more complex. The tree again, is drawn with a 0.3 Warm Gray multiliner, on a piece of sketchbook paper.

This time, I used the BG000 with my colorless blender for clouds. Here is a link to the technique tutorial I made a few years ago for making this style of clouds. Very simple, but nice, subtle clouds.

Notice the fields in the distance, how I made sure to color those with the blue, darker farther away, and lighter blue close up. Again, I wasn't worried about going over the areas with leaves.

Here is the final complex tree. I used similar techniques to yesterday, of dotting on layers and layers of color to make the leaves. I just used a wider range of colors. The fields below the tree are all colored with Y11, it just looks farther away because of all the BG000 underneath. I did add YG11 and hints of E33 to the scrubby bushes off in the distance. Nothing high contrast.

Trunk: E33, E00, E27, E49, W5, Y11(for highlights) B41 (shadows).

Leaves: YG11, YG13, YG17, G24, G28, Y11, R22, C2, C5.

Sky: BG000, 0

Grass: Y11, YR21, E33, YG11, YG13, YG17, W1, W5 (shadows under the tree). Most of these colors I lightly flicked in with the tip of the brush. Notice the grass closest to the viewer has the most contrast, grass under the tree has a little less contrast, and the rest of the grasses just softly fade off in the distance.

5 comments:

Jan Castle said...

Really see the depth of field...so well done! TFS!!!!

Claret Belle said...

Marianne - is it possible to sell copies of this image to practice this? I would love to purchase this image! Love the new book just like all the others.

marianne walker said...

Sorry! I colored my original, so I don't have copies of the original :(

Unknown said...

Nice work ur 1 of good artist

Unknown said...

Nice work ur 1 of good artist